Scottsdale’s Museum of the West offers a distinctive venue for a variety of private and corporate events, including but not limited to weddings and celebrations, business meetings, presentations, performances and holiday parties.
Groups who choose to reserve the museum’s facilities for private use are also granted access to the building’s galleries for the duration of the event. Upon request, museum staff can arrange for docents and/or gallery guides to be available at the time of an event for no extra fee.
As a Smithsonian Affiliate with award-winning architecture and landscape design, the museum provides an exceptionally unique environment that showcases the beauty and history of the American West.
Western Spirit’s well-appointed facilities can easily accommodate groups of 25 to 500.
Please note, potential clients may place a 30-day hold on tentative event dates. After 30 days, if no confirmation from the client is received, all held dates will be automatically released. If the client would like to extend the hold period they may do so for up to two additional 30-day periods, and must contact the museum to confirm the extension at the end of each 30-day period. No dates will be held beyond 90 days.
Spaces available for private use include:
- Scottsdale Charros Gateway Lobby: This welcoming area can be used as a reception or check-in space, as well as a counter area for food and beverage service.
- Virginia G. Piper Charitable Trust Theater/Auditorium: This impressive, approximately 2,000-square-foot space can be used as a theater or a reception venue, and features easy access to the museum’s surrounding galleries and sculpture courtyard. It is equipped with audio/visual system connections, Wi-Fi, a 10’ x 18’ projector screen and 135 scalable, retractable stadium seats. Capacity: 135 theater seats, or table seating for up to 150, or a reception for 120 – 200 guests.
- Christine and Ted Mollring Sculpture Courtyard: The museum’s open-air sculpture courtyard allows guests to celebrate among beautiful desert plantings and artworks by some of the American West’s most renowned artists. The courtyard is connected to the adjacent theater by a sliding barn door. Capacity: 117 guests
- Heritage Hall: This space pays tribute to distinguished individuals who helped to shape the American West, and transforms into a memorable location for event buffet tables or highboy tables.
- Outdoor Ramadas and Terraces: The museum’s ramadas and terraces set your event right in the heart of Scottsdale’s arts district and provide an open event space for small to large-sized groups. Available during the cooler months of the year. Capacity: Up to 500 guests
Private Use Policies
To allow visitors to fully experience the museum, private events are generally scheduled to take place outside of the museum’s regular hours of operation. Availability is limited for certain dates between October and April. The maximum event time for private events is four hours, beginning no earlier than 8 a.m. and ending no later than 10 p.m., unless otherwise approved.
Food and beverage options are available from a list of museum-preferred caterers. The rental of tables, chairs and linens is the responsibility of the event organizer.
The use of flower petals, glitter, confetti, tinsel, rice or birdseed for décor is prohibited. Open flame is restricted to the use of Sterno for buffet items, and battery-operated candles must be substituted for open-flame candles.
Free public parking is available in a city-owned garage located beneath the museum. Guests arriving via bus/limo transportation may be dropped off at the front entrance. Transit-convenient parking is available nearby.
For a comprehensive list of private use policies, please see the “Event Resources” section below.
*Please note: The museum was built and is owned by the City of Scottsdale, and is managed and operated by Scottsdale Museum of the West, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. As such, the museum is restricted from hosting fundraising events for other organizations. Additionally, a gap charge may be applicable for events that begin after museum closing times.
Please see our downloadable resource guides, below, for more information on private use spaces and policies:
For additional information about private events or to schedule a site visit, please contact Curt Bellfy at email@example.com.