Orme Lewis & Family Library & Learning Center
** PLEASE NOTE: THE LIBRARY AND LEARNING CENTER IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE **
The Orme Lewis and Family Library & Learning Center–located to the south of the museum’s main building–houses a private research library that contains hundreds of volumes on topics related to the American West, as well as the bordering provinces of Canada and states of Mexico.
The research library is available by appointment only on Mondays. Books cannot be removed from the premises, and personal items/bags must be checked upon entering the facility. To make an inquiry or to schedule an appointment with the volunteer librarian, email email@example.com.
For additional information on the research library’s rules of conduct and photography agreement, please scroll down to the “Library Policies” section on this page.
Major topics found in the research library’s volumes include:
• Painting & Sculpture – General
• Photography – General
• Film & TV
• Actors & Directors
Countries & States
• Lewis & Clark
• Government policy
• Feuds & wars
Industry & Trade
• Fur trade
Law & Order
• Ghost towns
• Arts & Crafts
• Mythology & Religion
• Tribes A-Z
Ranch & Frontier Life
• Cattle ranching
• (Dictionaries, encyclopedia, directories, atlases, bibliographies)
Women in the West
While at the research library, guests will be required to adhere to the rules of conduct for the Orme Lewis & Family Learning Center, and to its photography policy. Please see the documents below for details. Copies of both documents will be provided to researchers upon their arrival.
RULES OF CONDUCT
Loloma Learning Center and Library Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the West
The research library is available by appointment only on Mondays. To make an inquiry or to schedule an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Large bags, backpacks, briefcases, etc. must be kept with the librarian or in the administrative offices.
2. No food or drink is allowed except bottled water.
3. Pens may not be used and marks may not be made on any book. “Post-It” notes may be used but must be removed.
4. Place all books when finished by the “Return Books Here” marker – please do not reshelve.
5. Photography using cameras, smart phones, etc. is permitted on completion of the Use of Personal Camera Agreement form.
6. Material may be photocopied on site by the researcher, but books may not be bent, pressed down, or otherwise manipulated to get a better copy. Museum staff reserve the right to inspect all material held by a researcher when entering and/or leaving the library.